Friday, April 28, 2017

The Third Eye translation by Shivaji Banerjee


The Third Eye

Original in Bengali by Yashodhara Ray Chaudhuri

Translation: Shivaji Banerjee

In love and affection infused
this family
You came like a bull in a china shop,
Mom, go back to home
Told all in the kin, even my own son.
Told me I am a wretched witch.
And why not! I smoked,
I drank, spent evenings Outside.
No light from the prayer's candle or sound of hymn
Flowed in our home.
Then came the flow of poetic friends to hang out at midnight.
Son studying behind the closed door, knew
I am no ordinary Mom with the usual adore.

Bought my own flat as all
Advised me to go back to home
But when I attempted to keep
Selfish joy in the vase it rolled over.
Spouse and family kept quiet. So did my son.

Shall I create happiness for me alone?
Shall I decorate my flat for myself?
Will cook not to share with any?
So broke the vase in immense pain.

Returning home as a wretched mom, alone
I sleep through late evenings, roam around haplessly
Ferment storms, rhyming through it.
Scattered my footsteps every way with a guilty mind
Reduced to a pair of feverish eyes out of the slashing wounds.

Where is the third eye, on the shelf, didn't put it on today?

তৃতীয় নয়ন
যশোধরা রায়চৌধুরী

মায়ামমতায় ভরা এ সংসারে এসে
তুমি তো করেছ শুধু তুমুল অশান্তি, মাগো, বাড়ি যাও, বাড়ি যাও,
আমাকে বলেছে সব প্রতিবেশী, পাড়াপড়শি , এমনকি নিজের ছেলেটিও।
আমাকে বলেছে আমি অলক্ষ্মী পিচেশ।
কেন বা বলবে না বল, আমি তো খেয়েছি সিগারেট আর আমি তো সন্ধে পার করে
বাড়িতে ফিরেছি, কোন সন্ধেবাতি, হুলুধ্বনি, শঙ্খের বাতাস
আমাদের বাড়িতে বহেনি।
তারপর এসেছে বন্ধু, কবিদের দল, মধ্যরাতে আড্ডা দিতে
ছেলে অন্য ঘরে বসে পড়া করছে, দোর দিয়ে, সেও তো জেনেছে
তার মা অদ্ভুত, খাপছাড়া, কোন সাধারণ সতীলক্ষ্মী নয়।

সবাই বলেছে তুমি বাড়ি যাও বাড়ি যাও, তার জন্য ফ্ল্যাট কিনে ফেলেছি নিজের।
শুধু যেই নিজের আনন্দ আমি রাখতে গেলাম সেই ঘটে
ঘটটি গড়িয়ে পড়ল।
স্বামী ও সংসার কোন কথাই বলল না। ছেলেও এবার চুপচাপ।

আমি কি আমার সুখ নিজে নিজে রচনা করব , গো?
আমি কি আমার ফ্ল্যাট একা একা সাজিয়ে ফেলেছি?
আমার উনুনে আজ একজনের রান্না হবে নাকি?
এই দুঃখে এই কষ্টে, আমি ঘট গুঁড়িয়ে ভেঙেছি...

তারপর অলক্ষ্মী মায়ের মত একা একা ফিরে এসে ঘরে
আমি সন্ধ্যা অবদি ঘুমাই, আর চুল খুলে বেপাড়ায় ঘুরি...
অশান্তি বানাই আমি, মুখে মুখে ছড়া কাটি সমস্ত বিকেল...

আর, আমি সারা পথ নিজের এ পদচিহ্ন ছড়িয়ে এসেছি... মনোদোষে।
নিজের শরীর খান খান করে আমি আজ রোগজীর্ণ একজোড়া জ্বরতপ্ত চোখ...
তৃতীয় নয়ন কই, সে তো ছিল, কুলুঙ্গিতে তোলা, আজ নামিয়ে পরে নি?

No comments:

Post a Comment